Today, customers pay with their credit cards online more than ever. As the world increasingly relies on the internet, online credit card payments will rise. Businesses that only accept cash, checks, or in-store payments are behind the times. By not having a website credit card processing option, many miss out on sales. Now is the time to set up website credit card processing.
The numbers are compelling: Website credit card processing is increasing
According to CreditCards.com and a TSYS online survey, Americans increasingly prefer to pay by credit cards online. In 2014, 48% of people used a credit card to pay for goods online, up from 41% in 2013. The second most popular payment method was debit cards, followed by PayPal.
Cash is on its way out as credit cards take over. According to ConsumerCredit.com, in 2013, 80% of consumer spending in the United States was cashless. When making big purchases, 39% of people will use their credit cards and only 14% will use cash. In 2015, 25% of organizations on a global basis stopped accepting cash altogether.
Website credit card processing is convenient for customers. If customers store their credit card information, it saves them time and allows them to make purchases quickly and easily. Merchants must respond to this behavior by updating their online payment options and giving customers a choice to use their credit cards.
How to set up your website credit card processing system
When establishing a website credit card processing system, business owners must factor in a few considerations including:
- How the payment portal appears to customers. Does it incorporate brand logos and marketing materials?
- How easy it is to utilize. Is it user-intuitive for the customers and business owners?
- Whether or not the system supplies customer service. Can customers speak to a live representative on the portal or the phone if they are having any problems?
- The charges associated with website credit card processing. Does the portal provider offer competitive fees and have connections to an extensive network of trusted banks?
- Does the portal protect customers’ and merchants’ sensitive information?
Business owners need to find branded website credit card processing systems that are reliable, secure, and simple to navigate. Then they will be able to reap the benefits of online credit card payments.